Installing and using wine on amd64

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 14 21:42:42 UTC 2011

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 10:27:08PM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> In order to restore functionality that my old system provided
> almost 10 years ago (I checked when I bought it!), I'm currently
> trying to get wine working. Sadly, its Makefile states:
>
> 	ONLY_FOR_ARCHS=i386
>
> I've done some research and found lots of posts several years
> old that suggest that using wine on AMD64 is not possible or
> requires binary packages that don't exist, and even if one can
> install it, it doesn't run.
>
> Has this situation improved meanwhile? Does anyone have a
> recipe on how to get wine running?

There is someone who makes packages for wine on amd64. See
http://people.freebsd.org/~ivoras/wine/

If these packages don't work, see http://wiki.freebsd.org/Wine and
http://149.20.54.209/showthread.php?t=13982

> Current system is 8.2-STABLE/amd64. Should I better re-install
> everything (Intel Core2 4300 1.80GHz / 1799.81-MHz K8-class CPU
> here, and 2 GB RAM, that's why the AMD64 choice) and use i386
> instead?

Try if the available packages work first; that is probably significantly less
work.

Otherwise, with only 2 GB RAM I don't think there is much gained by using
amd64. Unless your particular applications are faster on amd64.

> And maybe fix Gtk+ triggered GPU trouble that way? :-)

Could be.

Roland