FreeBSD supported versions (UNCLASSIFIED)

Alejandro Imass ait at p2ee.org
Thu Aug 11 01:47:56 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 7:26 PM, Wright, Jonathon Mr CTR US USA
USARPAC <Jonathon.Wright at us.army.mil> wrote:
> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: FOUO
>
> TWIMC,
>
> How do I know as an admin of my FreeBSD server that the version I am running is supported via automated fashion?

In my experience with FBSD they are supported for a very long time, no
worries there. But it's usually best to stay no more than 2 major
releases.
Example current is 8.2, I wouldn't have any 6.x systems today but
there are people that have because that particular version may provide
some specific thing to them. It's the same way that people still use
Apache 1.3 for whatever reason.
Personally, I only have 7.x and 8.x servers and I only use RELEASE
versions, but YMMV of course.

> I'm trying to find a way to do this through a script of sorts so that when the date comes, I'm alerted that I need to upgrade.

FBSD is so awesome that all you have to is .forward root mail to your
admin account and automated scripts will tell you about outdated
ports, security patches, vulnerability notes, state of your network,
hard drives and many more things. These crons and scripts are already
part of any standard FBSD installations.

> For example on this link: http://www.freebsd.org/security/#sup
> It has a table with dates / versions.
> How can I query this through the ports tree / or other means?

You don't need to. just wait for the mails I mentioned above and take
action from there!

Best,

--
Alejandro Imass