help setup an HP 3300C scanner

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Aug 4 03:48:45 UTC 2011

On Wed, 3 Aug 2011, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> This as root though, but as simple user cannot do much :(, again xsane
> tells me that no devices were found :(
>
> Suggestions/Advice/comments are welcome and appreciated.

To hit some relevant points...

The uscanner device is gone, no longer needed with FreeBSD-8.

devfs.conf hasn't been effective for dynamic devices for me.  Copying
the clever technique from sysutils/scanbuttond/pkg-message.in, I use
devd.conf to detect the scanner attach and detach devices and change
permissions and do whatever else is necessary.  Scanner users are a
member of the saned group.

# WB
# detect Epson Perfection 1640SU scanner and start scanbuttond
attach 20 {
         device-name "ugen[0-9].[0-9]";
         match "vendor" "0x04b8";
         match "product" "0x010a";
         action "usb_devaddr=`echo $device-name | sed 's#^ugen##'` && \
                 chown root:saned /dev/usb/${usb_devaddr}.* && \
                 chmod 0660 /dev/usb/${usb_devaddr}.* && \
                 su saned -c '/usr/local/bin/scanbuttond \
                 -s /usr/local/etc/scanbuttond/buttonpressed.sh \
                 -S /usr/local/etc/scanbuttond/initscanner.sh \
                 -b /usr/local/lib/libscanbtnd-backend_epson.so'";
};

# WB
# remove Epson Perfection 1640SU uscanner0 link and stop scanbuttond
detach 20 {
         device-name "ugen[0-9].[0-9]";
         match "vendor" "0x04b8";
         match "product" "0x010a";