Password theft from memory?

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Tue Apr 26 09:48:57 UTC 2011

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 23:29:08 +0100
RW <rwmaillists at googlemail.com> wrote:

> The reason I thought that heap memory isn't zeroed is from the
> discussion of pre-zeroed pages in this article:

There's an idlezero task that runs by default (via
the vm.idlezero_enable sysctl), zeroing unused pages, but malloc itself
doesn't zero memory on demand by default. If you enable the 'Z'
malloc.conf(3) option it does, though:

Z	     Each byte of new memory allocated by malloc(), realloc() or
	     reallocf() will be initialized to 0.  Note that this initializa-
	     tion only happens once for each byte, so realloc() and reallocf()
	     calls do not zero memory that was previously allocated.  This is
	     intended for debugging and will impact performance negatively.

--
Bruce Cran