Help with Booting

Erich Dollansky erichfreebsdlist at ovitrap.com
Sat Apr 23 10:04:22 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Saturday 23 April 2011 16:30:39 Doug Hardie wrote:

> On 23 April 2011, at 02:20, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> >
> > I only can tell what I do when a machine does not boot from the installation media: I plug the disk into another machine, install the generic kernel, edit /etc and put it back.
> >
> > If this does not work, it will be hard.
>
> That works, but then I end up without having RAID activated.  I am trying to get the hardware RAID working.

but your system runs then. Isn't it possible then to build a custom kernel which supports the specific RAID hardware on this machine and install the new kernel there.

Oh, could it be that the loader is not able to start from the RAID hardware? Is it possible that even a custom kernel will need an extra boot medium to start with?

Erich