can't determine sound card driver to use in /etc/rc.conf

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 04:02:29 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 9:55 PM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 07:38:57 -0500, Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tried to mount the dvd, but sadly the system rebooted and I had to
>> fsck three to 4 times to get the system back :(, I will try to not to
>> mount it, don't want to go through that.
>
> This indicates a major problem. Under ANY circumstances,
> you should be ABLE to mount a DVD. If this causes the
> system to reboot, find out what's causing this. Maybe
> a defective drive? Can you check with different drive?
>

>> Tried to put in another dvd
>> that works on other computers, and I get :
>>
>> [olivares at grulla /usr/home/olivares]$ mplayer dvdnav://
>> MPlayer SVN-r32577-snapshot-4.2.1 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team
>>
>> Playing dvdnav://.
>> libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version MPlayer-custom
>> libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.10 for DVD access
>> libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
>> libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
>> libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
>> libdvdnav: vm: failed to read VIDEO_TS.IFO
>> Couldn't open DVD device: /dev/acd0 (Input/output error)
>> No stream found to handle url dvdnav://
>>

>> Exiting... (End of file)
>> [olivares at grulla /usr/home/olivares]$ mplayer dvd://
>> MPlayer SVN-r32577-snapshot-4.2.1 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team
>>
>> Playing dvd://.
>> libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.10 for DVD access
>> libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
>> libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
>> libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.BU.
>> Can't open VMG info!
>> No stream found to handle url dvd://
>>

>> Exiting... (End of file)
>> [olivares at grulla /usr/home/olivares]$
>
> It's the same problem as in your previous description, and
> I assume that is has nothing to do with codecs. In combination
> with the inability of mounting DVDs (which should work),
> there may be a SERIOUS problem hiding in the background.
>
> Have you been able to perform the first steps of my
> "checklist", i. e. the cdcontrol and media identification
> part?

This is on mt TODO list, I was going to try and swap another dvd drive
(SATA) which is my suspicion :(

>> I have to blame mplayer or is it FreeBSD?
>
> I think it's the hardware - your description of "rebooting
> when trying to mount" lets me think into this direction.

I'd think I'd have to agree :(, the damn dvd drive, it is new but old
IDE does not work as well as SATA.

> Try to find out the reason. Work with AS FEW variables
> as possible, i. e. start with "plain simple tests" as
> I mentioned them. If you get THAT done without error,
> the problem is somewhere else.
>
> Another thing: Can you check device permissions for
> the acd* devices, as well as for cd* and xpt* if you're
> using ATAPICAM? Just to make sure and MINIMIZE the
> variables involved in this diagnostic process.

I have a /etc/devfs.conf file with the following:

# Commonly used by many ports
link    acd0    cdrom
link    acd0    dvd

# Allow all users to access CD’s
perm /dev/acd0 0666
perm /dev/acd1 0666
perm /dev/cd0 0666
perm /dev/cd1 0666

# Allow all USB Devices to be mounted
perm /dev/da0 0666
perm /dev/da1 0666
perm /dev/da2 0666
perm /dev/da3 0666
perm /dev/da4 0666

# Misc other devices
perm /dev/pass0 0666
perm /dev/xpt0 0666
perm /dev/agpart 0666
perm /dev/uscanner0 0666

>> The movie is good, it plays
>> on my other FreeBSD box, is something wrong or should I try to go for
>> vlc?
>
> Well, VLC isn't bad, although I really prefer mplayer
> as I'm using it since the earliest days. But I doubt
> VLC will play without the codecs (that are, as far as
> I understood, an independent part and port).

VLC did not play the dvds either, took a while to compile it(for
troubleshooting this dvd problem).  I like both players just to be
honest.

> --
> Polytropon
> Magdeburg, Germany
> Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0
> Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, ...

I have a similar amd64 machine that does play mostly everything in it,
but I installed mplayer differently
# pkg_add -r mplayer

** had problems with KDE and lib???.so not working and startx refused
to work, last time I used ports. But this time everything is working
beautifully have installed gkrellm, mplayer, vlc and texmaker fine via
ports.  I am getting some confidence back.

*However* that machine has SATA cables not IDE like this one, this is
my take on the issue.  If  i install/try a SATA dvd drive, it will
work*

Thanks for helping/advising.

Regards,

Antonio