make all vs buildworld

Michael D. Norwick mnorwick at centurytel.net
Tue Apr 19 21:39:29 UTC 2011

Good Day;

Can someone tell me what the difference between using /usr/src#>make
buildworld vs /usr/src/#>make all.  I know that FreeBSD uses
make buildkernel and make buildworld to routinely build the kernel and
userland.  Yet, I had an issue with a recent buildworld (after buildkernel).
It error'd out building a kerberos5 library and I lost patience trying
to figure it out.  I tried /usr/src#>make all and the build went to
completion
without error.  What would I hurt if I then did /usr/src/#>make install?

[michael at rainey /usr/home/michael]$ uname -a
FreeBSD rainey 8.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE #0: Sun Apr 17 21:23:21
UTC 2011     michael at rainey:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KERNEL_041811  amd64

Thank You,
michael