Mailing list etiquette (Was: Re: Linksys-E4200 Wireless N-router)

Carmel carmel_ny at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 8 22:46:47 UTC 2011

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 15:50:52 -0600
Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> articulated:

> On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 11:15:11PM +0200, Erik Trulsson wrote:

> > > I, for one, am glad this does not happen more often.  I really do
> > > *not* need a bunch of duplicates cluttering up my inbox.  I have
> > > yet to see anyone complain of not receiving a CC in addition to
> > > the mail from the list.
> > >
> > > I consider "not cluttering up the inboxes of people subscribed to
> > > the list" a "good reason to do otherwise".
> >
> > You seem to miss one crucial fact:  Not all the people who write to
> > this list are subscribed to it.  They will not see any replies
> > directed only to the list.  It is for their benefit that that rule
> > exists.
>
> You seem to fail to realize that it's possible to CC someone who
> isn't on the list, but not CC someone who *is* on the list.  That
> would be why people who aren't members of the list say thinks like
> "please CC me", while people who are members occasionally say "please
> don't send duplicates to me".

The solution to this problem is so obvious that I am amazed that no one
has proposed it. Simply require the poster to be subscribed to the
list. Other high quality lists, such as but not limited to Postfix have
that requirement in place. If a potential poster is either too stupid
or too lazy to subscribe then that is their problem. For the record, I
have subscribed to lists before simple to post one question. Upon
receiving an answer, I terminated my subscription. I did not feel the
least bit inconvenienced.

--
Carmel ✌
carmel_ny at hotmail.com