Linksys-E4200 Wireless N-router

Maciej Milewski milu at dat.pl
Fri Apr 8 15:39:32 UTC 2011

Friday 08 of April 2011 17:05:51 Carmel napisał(a):
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 14:03:57 +0300
>
> Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo at gmail.com> articulated:
> > On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 13:55, Carmel <carmel_ny at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 07:56:00 +0300
> > >
> > > Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo at gmail.com> articulated:
> > >
> > > That is like saying "A" is better than "B" without divulging any
> > > specific information. It is just a hollow statement. Either point
> > > me to the specific documentation explaining the differences in
> > > detail or explain them to me yourself.
> >
> > I did not know I needed a spoon to feed someone, but anyway, the main
> > details are at http://dd-wrt.com/site/content/about
> > The finer details are only visible once you look at what you can do
> > with factory firmware, then flash your router with dd-wrt and
> > compare. FYI, you can always revert to factory firmware if dd-wrt
> > does not please you.
>
> That seems like a lot of work for a potential zero gain. I really don't
> see any purpose is taking the time and a perfectly good router out of
> commission to just experiment. Based on the simple concept of, "If it
> ain't broke, don't fix it", I think I will leave it alone.

In some circumstances it's worth. Not everyone needs anything above stock
firmware but some funcionalities are really useful. Sometime ago it was that
stock firmware has issues with their wireless chipsets and waiting for the
manufacturer update was very long - using alternative firmware helped a lot
that time.

Does stock firmware support openvpn client?
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VPN_%28the_easy_way%29_v24%2B
What about hotspot functionality? Does stock firmware support it?
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Chillispot
Monthly/daily usage statistics etc. for people who have some limits on the
internet access? I think there could be more things that are useful for some
people.

Maciej