GEOM warning in dmesg

Jamie Paul Griffin jamie at gnix.co.uk
Wed Apr 6 14:39:21 UTC 2011

Hi everyone

I have just installed FreeBSD 8.2 RELEASE amd64 onto my new Lenovo ThinkCentre and i'm dual-booting FreeBSD with Windows & which was preinstalled.

When the system boots i see the message shown below in dmesg which relates to the partitions on the FreeBSD slice. So far i have not experienced any problems with using the system and it does boot into the OS ok. but i don't know if there's a problem here that i need to fix or if it's a warning i can ignore because i don't know what it means. i am hoping someone can help me and explain what it is.

Here is the text:

GEOM: ad8: partition 4 does not start on a track boundary.
GEOM: ad8: partition 4 does not end on a track boundary.
GEOM: ad8: partition 3 does not start on a track boundary.
GEOM: ad8: partition 3 does not end on a track boundary.
GEOM: ad8: partition 2 does not start on a track boundary.
GEOM: ad8: partition 2 does not end on a track boundary.
GEOM: ad8: partition 1 does not start on a track boundary.
GEOM: ad8: partition 1 does not end on a track boundary.