remaining goal.. .

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Wed Apr 6 10:37:19 UTC 2011

On 04/06/11 02:37, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 07:21:13PM -0400, Daniel Staal wrote:
>> --As of April 5, 2011 11:05:19 AM -0700, Gary Kline is alleged to have said:
>>
>>> 	It is a Alix 601 board with 1G of CF flash.  But according to my
>>> 	hardware friend, it will take a CF burner of some kind.
>>
>> --As for the rest, it is mine.
>>
>> I'm going to assume you mean the Alix 6e1, which is the closest I
>> can find in their numbering system.
>

> 6E1, yes.  Sorry; it was last December.  My friend was going to drop
> by , but cancelled and was back in school before he remembered.
>

>> It's got a standard CF adaptor.  (*All* the Alix's do.)  If there's
>> a card in it, pull it off and insert into any CF reader, and it
>> should work fine. (USB-based ones typically sell for $20, including
>> SD, XD, MMC, Memorystick, and probably a few others as well.  Check
>> Best Buy, or your local computer hardware store, or possibly a
>> camera store.)  Then follow Arthur's advice. The CF card may be a
>> little awkward to pull off.
>>
>> If the card that's in there is some special card that needs some
>> exotic burner...  When you are at the computer store spend another
>> $5 or so and get yourself a new card.
>>

> 	I asked the pfSense forum if I had enough memory and they said
> 	yes.  Wghat I've got should be fine assuming that everything is
> 	put together correctly.  My physical disabilities limit what i
> 	can do myself--that's the catch; it is why I have to ask favors.
>
> 	I'll save your mail just in case my friend gets off-track for
> 	some reason.  Shouldn't.  It is how he is putting himself thru
> 	college this time.  ---What I want is to be drawing as few watts
> 	as _possible_.  Especially since I have two tower cases going
> 	24*7.  Plus the firewall Beast.  :: be nice to get down to some
> 	min footprint and get that much further into the green-zone!

Alix boards are quite sufficient for home use. My 2d3 shows a memory
usage of 28% and CPU usage usually in the range 2-20% depending on
what's going through it at the time. I put a power meter on it and it
takes 5W - some of my network switches take more than that.

Just make sure you get an image that's the right size for your CF card,
uncompress it and dd it onto the CF card. If your case for the Alix is
like mine, make sure you put the CF card into the adaptor *before* you
put the motherboard into the case, because you won't get it in afterwards.