Could not find /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Apr 3 11:15:54 UTC 2011

On 03/04/2011 11:05, Paul Chany wrote:
> I have just installed FreeBSD release 8.2 using
> FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso
> and want to install sudo.
>
> I did the following:
>
> # whereis sudo
> # cd /usr/ports/security/sudo
> # make install clean
>
> but get error messages:
>
>  .. Could not find /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk
>
> What can I do to solve this problem?

You don't have a good copy of /usr/ports installed.  Not sure what went
wrong there, since you've clearly got parts of it.

There are a number of ways of rectifying that, but I recommend just
running the following:

   # portsnap fetch extract

Then you should be able to build sudo and any other ports you want.

See:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html

for the full story on getting and maintaining a current copy of the
ports tree.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3