mount a dumpfile

Chris Rees utisoft at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 09:52:26 UTC 2011

On 2 Apr 2011 00:08, "Warren Block" <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to mount a dump(8) dumpfile?  restore(8) obviously knows
everything about the file structure, and restore -i is nearly a read-only
mount_dump already.

Restore -i isn't really anything like a mount; it works on a stream (which
is why it works on tapes and stdin) where the first but is the file list,
telling restore how far to skip to get the file. This is why ls is fast on
it, but when you tell it to restore it then takes a little time.

If you want proper interactive backups, I'd respectfully suggest you start
using rsync incremental backup, for which I have a script sy home I'd you're
interested.

Chris