Port dependencies

Matt Emmerton matt at gsicomp.on.ca
Sat Apr 2 01:50:12 UTC 2011

> > The number of console
> > programs that want to pull in X window or kde is
> > my boggling.
>
> Hmmm... The only one I remember being that way is
> the old cvsup, but there was nocvsup-nogui (or -nox11?).

Over the years I've found that ghostscript and gd are two common culprits.
Every time I see a webserver with X11 on it, it's because of these two.  Of
course, using ghostscript*-nox11 as well as setting WITHOUT_X11=yes solves a
lot of this mess, but on a system that's already been "infested", it's
easier just to rebuild from scratch.

I dearly love FreeBSD, but after a few hours of building world and upgrading
ports/packages, walking over to my RHEL/CentOS machines and typing "yum
update -y && reboot" just brings tears to my eyes.

--
Matt Emmerton