Free BSD 8.1

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Sep 28 14:02:34 UTC 2010

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010, Ryan Coleman wrote:

> As I understand it: The OS itself is stable, but the ports are constantly in flux and may be issues.

During a FreeBSD release, the ports tree is "frozen" and port updates
are delayed.  So a FreeBSD release really does come with with a somewhat
stale and stable set of ports... which is immediately followed by a
flurry of port updates as the ports tree is unfrozen.  Often these
updates include major applications like xorg, with time-consuming
upgrade procedures.

The snapshot of ports on a -release grows increasingly stale.  After a
while, it's easier to update the ports tree before installing anything.