freebsd-update 8.1 to 8.1-p1

Jason jhelfman at e-e.com
Mon Sep 27 14:40:26 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 09:01:38PM +0700, Phan Quoc Hien thus spake:
>Try rebuild your kernel and get 8.1-RELEASE-p1! I did it!
>
>On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 3:29 PM, c0re <nr1c0re at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello freebsd-questions!
>>
>> I've installed freebsd 8.1 and made
>> freebsd-update fetch
>> freebsd-update install
>> reboot
>>
>> And in uname -a I still see 8.1-RELEASE, but I want to see 8.1-RELEASE-p1.
>>
>> In /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh I see that it is 8.1-p1
>>
>> REVISION="8.1"
>> BRANCH="RELEASE-p1"
>>
>> Why is it so? I want to know that my system is up to date with
>> freebsd-update, but uname -a does not show this to me.

The kernel wasn't touched during the latest set of security releases, so an
update to 8.1-p1 will show your kernel at 8.1. If you perform another
freebsd-update, it should show no updates for 8.1-p1.

Based on what you are saying, uname is reporting correctly.

Other than 'sys/conf/newvers.sh,' if the update touches sys, it should
redistribute the kernel and the patch number in the announcement. After it
is properly applied, 'uname' should match.

I don't recall the reasoning behind newvers.sh in the update software, but
others may have an idea.

-jgh