apropos returning same item twice

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk
Mon Sep 27 10:35:24 UTC 2010

On Sunday 26 September 2010, Steven Friedrich wrote:

> > > manpath
> > > /usr/share/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/local/kde4/man:/usr/share/open
> > >ssl/man:
> > > /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.12.2/man:/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.12.2/perl/
> > >man
> >
> > Ok. There's also:
> >
> >         %man -a -w mysql
> >
> > to see the origins of the multiple man pages, although it seems
> > that you may have already confirmed the /usr/X11R6 path connection.
> >
> > >From what you've presented so far I'd say it's looking like a
> > > problem
>
> man -a -w mysql
> /usr/local/man/man1/mysql.1.gz
> /usr/X11R6/man/man1/mysql.1.gz

Same here - until I realised that I still had /usr/X11R6/bin in $PATH,
left over from the days before /usr/X11R6 was a link to /usr/local.
Removing /usr/X11R6/bin from $PATH fixed it for me. According to the
man page for manpath it "tries to determine the user's manpath from a
set of system defaults and the user's PATH".

--
Mike Clarke