port upgrading

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Sep 26 19:48:17 UTC 2010

On 26/09/2010 18:50:32, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
>  On 26-9-2010 19:13, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>> Really either of those two will serve you well, as will various others
>
> I like portupgrade.
> One question about dependencies: if I want to update *one* port I have
> to run "portupgrade -R portname", right.
> But *when* do I run portupgrade -R ,name> c.q. portupgrade -rR <name>?

It depends on what you want to update.

'portupgrade -R name' updates name plus anything name depends on.

'portupgrade -rR name' updates name plus anything name depends on, plus
anything that depends on name.

In all cases, only ports that have updates available are updated, so if
everything in the dependency chain is already up to date, the command
(either variant) may do nothing.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3