Free BSD 8.1

Michel Talon talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Sun Sep 26 10:49:03 UTC 2010

Matthew Seaman said

> Be aware that installing the ports tree from the DVD images is not the
> ideal way to do it.  If you have the connectivity on your newly
> installed system, it is better to use either csup(1) or portsnap(1) to
> grab an up-to-date copy of the ports directly from the net.

I disagree with that. You are supposing that newer is better, which is
far from proven (in fact blatantly false in many cases). Another option
is to install the ports tree from the  DVD,and install corresponding
precompiled packages from the DVD or otherwise the web, and
*not* updating the ports tree. There is a lot to be said for this
option, and many users will be happier doing that, at least people who
want to use their machine and not spend their time upgrading, compiling
and fighting bugs.

--

Michel TALON