GUI Suggested?

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 16:22:23 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 4:04 AM, Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk>wrote:

> When I first tried KDE4 it was much slower than KDE3, have things
> improved sufficiently since then for me to think about upgrading?

If you tried on KDE 4.1, 4.2, then yes things have improved a lot.  4.3 was
pretty big update in terms of stability, and 4.4 has been far more solid
than not.  All the base KDE apps seem to work appropriately, at least the
ones I use.  However in my use while KDE4 was unstable early, it was always
faster than 3 at least when an app wasn't hung ;).  Also for me, I went back
and forth between 3 and 4 several times before finally sticking with 4.  The
UI does take some getting used too.

Perhaps another part of the stability question is I don't turn on any of the
fancy eye-candy effects.  I don't use KDE because of the way it looks, I use
it because it allows me to work in a efficient manner.

--
Adam Vande More