GUI Suggested?

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 04:53:42 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 10:29 PM, Jorge Biquez <jbiquez at intranet.com.mx>wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> In all these years I have been working with FreeBSd under terminal/shell
> mode. Since all my needs to solve have been solved that way I have never
> tried any graphical interface.
>
> I was wondering if you can tell suggest me based on yoru experience on what
> path to follow? KDE? any other?
>
> I would like to test what you suggest is the best for you and if possible
> that it is not TOO complicated to setup. The idea is to use it as my desktop
> plattfor (documents, browser, email, etc)

As stated before, it's really a personal matter.  I like kde4 a lot,
especially konsole and konqueror.  konsole seems to have a great blend of
features(monitor for activity, etc.) and integration with other KDE apps as
a snap-in.  Basically things like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCL_6YNgc8w make it a breeze to keep separate
groups for each item your working on.  Konqueror runs firefox plugins, and
supports the fish protocol which I occasionally find useful.  It's also
lighter and faster than KDE3.  It's pretty stable too, but not completely
so.  Once in awhile a KDE4 will get hung like krdc and I'll have to restart
rather than track down the issue.  I guess I reboot my desktop on average
once a month due to things like that so it's acceptable for me.

You can use the handbook method of installing KDE4(which is much, much
faster) or my method of installing:

http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-ports@freebsd.org/msg25856.html

Looking at my old post again, I notice I didn't include kde4 in the build.
That would be this:

portmaster --no-confirm -d /usr/ports/x11/kde4  #you make wish to add
--no-confirm to the other portmaster commands as it's behaviour has changed.

So it's not too hard to get it on your system.

--
Adam Vande More