Widescreen Monitor and X Help please

Scott Ballantyne sdb at ssr.com
Wed Sep 22 08:40:16 UTC 2010

Hello,

I'm upgrading from FreeBSD 5.3 to 8.1 --- much wonderful work has been
done clearly, I'm very impressed and hat's off to the developers.

Unfortunately I've hit a snag with X. I have an LG "Flatron" W2253, a
5750 graphics card and I have not been able to get them to work with X
at all.

Following the handbook's instructions:

Xorg -config xorg.conf.new

with and without the -retro option just give me a black screen from
which there is no escape. I have to log into the machine from
somewhere else on the network to reboot it. Killing the Xorg process
doesn't help.

Following the instructions on widescreen monitors, I have extracted a
modeline from the log files:

Section "Monitor"
	#DisplaySize	  490   320	# mm
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "LG (GSM)"
	ModelName    "W2253"
#	HorizSync    30.0 - 83.0
#	VertRefresh  56.0 - 75.0
	ModeLine     "1920x1080" 138.5 1920 1968 2000 2080 1080 1083 1088 1111
#	Option	    "DPMS"
EndSection

And I have modified the screen as follows:

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Card0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth 24
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
		Modes	  "1920x1080"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

None of this has helped. If anyone can assist me, I would be very
grateful.

Thanks a lot,
Scott
sdb at ssr.com