printcap

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Sep 22 01:57:53 UTC 2010

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:

> Can somebody point me to some information about what to write into
> /etc/printcap on a FreeBSD machine for a Laserjet that is connected though
> CUPS on an OpenSolaris server?

It's not clear how that printer is connected.  If it's on the network
itself, you should be able to send jobs directly to it.  If the printer
is connected by USB or something else to the server, CUPS might still
accept jobs from lpr.  (Untested, but it's a print server, after all.)

Network printing from printcap (among other things) is shown here:
http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/lpdprinting.html

Well, and in the Handbook, too.