FreeBSD 8.1 & Squid suggestions?

Ed Flecko edflecko at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 19:41:53 UTC 2010

Hi folks,
I have a small group of people in my office (less than 20), and I want
to set up a FBSD/Squid server, and I'm hoping someone might have some
suggestions for the install.

It's a clean install of FBSD 8.1, and the sole purpose of the server
is a Squid server. The server has a 500Gb SATA hard drive, and 8Gb of
RAM. I've installed Squid before (on an OpenBSD server), so I'm a
comfortable with Squid.

I'll install from a package (to make my life easy), but I'm not sure
if there are any FBSD specific changes I should make? Are there any
kernel customizations you might recommend I need? Are there any
suggestions you might make to improve performance?

Suggestions?

Thank you,
Ed