extra open ports in rkhunter

Anonymous swell.k at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 03:05:58 UTC 2010

Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> writes:

> Hi--
>
> On Sep 18, 2010, at 4:27 PM, Carl Johnson wrote:
>> The following are the ports if anybody has any ideas, but I would also like to know how to trace them down myself:
>>
>> tcp4       0      0 *.876                  *.*                    LISTEN
>> tcp6       0      0 *.921                  *.*                    LISTEN
>> udp4       0      0 *.608                  *.*
>> udp6       0      0 *.952                  *.*
>> udp6       0      0 *.804                  *.*

Do you have some networking FS enabled (NFS, AFS, Coda, etc)? Perhaps,
one of them listens for connections from kernel and is not associated
with userland process. But it's just a guess.

> Try:
>
>   lsof -i tcp:876
>
> ...and so forth for the other ports; this will give you the process ID of whatever is holding that socket.

Speaking of processes, procstat(1) can show them, too.

  $ procstat -af | (IFS= read hdr && echo $hdr; fgrep UDP)
    PID COMM               FD T V FLAGS    REF  OFFSET PRO NAME
   1023 syslogd             6 s - rw------   1       0 UDP ::.514 ::.0
   1023 syslogd             7 s - rw------   1       0 UDP 0.0.0.0:514 0.0.0.0:0
   1170 nfsuserd            3 s - rw------   8       0 UDP 0.0.0.0:998 0.0.0.0:0