FreeBSD 8.1 - boot failures (upgrades and clean installs) - root FS corrupt?

David Rawling djr at pdconsec.net
Sat Sep 18 11:44:52 UTC 2010

  On 18/09/2010 6:19 PM, I wrote:
> Any suggestions on debugging what's going on? I'd really like to be able to
> get current.
>
> Dave.

Hmm. Further diagnosis is even more interesting. The output from the
installation (console 2 - Alt-F2) shows segmentation faults and core dumps for
mv, rm and ln commands - and the list gets longer if I try to do anything on
the emergency shell (Alt-F4). Adding a user doesn't auto-populate the UID nor
the shell, then claims that the user already exists.

I also neglected to say that I am installing the AMD64 version - perhaps this
is useful information :)

Dave.

--
David Rawling
Principal Consultant

PD Consulting And Security
20 Goodin Road
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153
Australia
Mob: +61 412 135 513
Email: djr at pdconsec.net

Please note that whilst we take all care, neither PD Consulting and Security nor the sender accepts any responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan for viruses. The contents are intended only for use by the addressee and may contain confidential and/or privileged material and any use by other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please inform the sender and/or addressee immediately and delete the material.