Plextor PX-870A drives

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Sep 17 20:53:18 UTC 2010

Ryan Coleman <ryan.coleman at cwis.biz> writes:

> On Sep 17, 2010, at 1:04 PM, Joshua Isom wrote:
>
>> On 9/17/2010 7:24 AM, Robert Ames wrote:
>>>
>>> It claims to be able to play audio CDs.
>>>

>> There's two things I can think of.  With cdcontrol on a cd-rw drive I have, it needs the cd audio cable hooked up from the drive to the motherboard or else it's silent.  My dvd-rw drive doesn't have that port but I haven't tested audio cd's in it.  It's possible the "does play audio cd's" is about reading the format rather than playing, and I believe cdcontrol tells the drive to play instead of the OS playing it.  You could try another media player to see if it'll play the disc or if you can rip the tracks off.
>
> So you should plug headphones into the front?

If there's a headphone jack on the front of the *drive*, then yes, that
will probably work.

What was intended, though, was probably to suggest that instead of
cdcontrol(1), you install and try a cd playing program that supports
"digital extraction".  Most programs in ports/audio that can play CDs
at all will be able to handle this.