Windows AD and ntpd sync problem

David Rawling djr at pdconsec.net
Fri Sep 17 12:47:45 UTC 2010

  On 13/09/2010 4:45 PM, Omer Faruk SEN wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to sync my time against a ntp server on Active Directory
> but no matter what i do ntpd did not sync against AD's NTP server.
> ntpdate works perfectly against AD but not ntpd.
I think you will have trouble doing this. AD's time service is not a true NTP
service - it's SNTP with a dash of smarts around increasing frequency and
backing off, plus automatic selection of masters / distribution hierarchy.

I'd suggest setting up the NTP server to use the NTP Pool project
(pool.ntp.org, or the appropriate country subdomain) and configuring AD to
synchronise to the NTP server (that should work fine).

Dave.

--
David Rawling
PD Consulting And Security
Email: djr at pdconsec.net

Please note that whilst we take all care, neither PD Consulting and Security nor the sender accepts any responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan for viruses. The contents are intended only for use by the addressee and may contain confidential and/or privileged material and any use by other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please inform the sender and/or addressee immediately and delete the material.