this is probably a little touchy to ask...

C. P. Ghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Fri Sep 17 01:37:47 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Jerry <freebsd.user at seibercom.net> wrote:
> As per the Mozilla site:
>
> "Starting in Firefox 3.6, you also need the new Java plugin included in
> Java 6 Update 15 and above."
>
> FreeBSD does not supply, nor support as far as I can decipher, that
> version or any of the newer versions, the latest being version 6, update
> 21. Nor, as I stated previously, has anyone stated definitively why.

That's one of the problems w.r.t. Java on FreeBSD:  I had to install
openjdk6, which provides at least this level in order to run all services
that Freenet provides (Freenet runs in degraded mode with java/jdk16,
because that version is too old and contains a big XML-related vulnerability).
But java/openjdk6 works just fine with Freenet and almost any Java program
I could throw at it. I don't know about Firefox 3.6 plugins though.

% java -version
openjdk version "1.6.0"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b20)

-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/