Upgrading packages - portupgrade confusion

Kaya Saman kayasaman at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 22:47:46 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have 2 servers one production and another test.

The test machine's packages however, seem to be older then the
production machines one's even though I built the production system a
few months ago.

I used the: portupgrade command in order to try to upgrade the ports nad
re-install the packages only the same versions seem to be compiling???

I ran: portupgrade -ai

on the base system as the system where these packages are installed into
is a FreeBSD jail.

The ports in question are these:

tomcat-6.0.29       Open-source Java web server by Apache, 6.x branch
postgresql-client-8.2.17_1 PostgreSQL database (client)
postgresql-server-8.2.17_1 The most advanced open-source database
available anywhere

Which on my newer test system show up as such:

postgresql-client-8.2.13 PostgreSQL database (client)
postgresql-server-8.2.13 The most advanced open-source database
available anywhere
tomcat-6.0.20_1     Open-source Java web server by Apache, 6.x branch

I don't understand this 100%???

I would like the versions to be the same as the production system since
I have a postgres-Tomcat connector which doesn't work on the test setup
as my Tomcat webapp isn't being displayed!!

Can I do anything about this??

I don't even know why it is like this although I must admit that it has
been an exceptionally long day and am really suffering from fatigue now
which might be a contributor but I can't tell.....

Can anyone give me any advise??

Many thanks and best regards,

Kaya