zfs enabled freebsd requires root zfs partition?

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 23:33:45 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 6:06 PM, Gil Vidals <gvidals at gmail.com> wrote:

> The exact error message I get is:
>
> linker_load_file: Unsupported file type
> kldload: can't load zfs.ko: Exec  format error.
>
> I would appreciate any additional guidance. In the meantime, Randal
> Schwartz was kind of enough to suggest PC-BSD, which includes an installer
> that supports ZFS, so I will check them out.

Well that error makes a lot more sense, but doesn't pinpoint the exact
cause.

I don't know what this is:  zfsinstall.sh

It's not part of the base system.  Without more info, my best guess is that
your zfs module is out of sync with your kernel.  Two things you can do,
install a clean FreeBSD, and just use zfs from there.  It works.

Or resync the kernel/modules by rebuilding them.

Make sure your src tree is in sync, eg csup with RELENG_8_1 or whatever
you're trying to run
Follow these instructions:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html

Just rebuild with GENERIC to make sure no other vars are interfering.  That
means don't use the KERNCONF=MYKERNEL part of the line or at least set it to
GENERIC.

Once you have installed the new kernel, reboot and kldload zfs should work.

--
Adam Vande More