zfs enabled freebsd requires root zfs partition?

Graeme Dargie arab at tangerine-army.co.uk
Tue Sep 7 10:28:11 UTC 2010

________________________________

From: Gil Vidals [mailto:gvidals at gmail.com]
Sent: Tue 07/09/2010 03:55
To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Subject: zfs enabled freebsd requires root zfs partition?

I'm new to both FreeBSD and ZFS and need some guidance. The only way I could
get zfs to work was by installing FreeBSD directly on a freebsd-ZFS file
system, which isn't supported by default by sysinstall. I had to run the
zfsinstall.sh script which creates the freebsd-ZFS file system and compiles
freeBSD.

Whenever If I used the standard install (UFS file system), I would always
get an "unsupported file system" error whenever I tried to kldload zfs.ko.

Is there away to install FreeBSD on the standard UFS file system and then
use the other disks on the server for ZFS?

I would appreciate any hints.

Thanks,
Gil Vidals