Weird Linux - FreeBSD/ZFS NFSv4 interoperability problem

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Fri Sep 3 09:57:47 UTC 2010

On 09/02/10 21:25, David Brodbeck wrote:
> While doing some interoperability testing between Linux and FreeBSD, I
> came up with this unusual issue.  I could use some help figuring out
> if this is a bug, and if so, where to file it.  Here's the scenario:
>
> - FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE server, sharing a ZFS filesystem via NFSv4.

I think that this is the beginning of your problems - even the developer
who is working on NFSv4 says it's too experimental to be used in real world.

> - Linux client (I've tested with RHEL 5.4 and Debian Lenny) mounting
> said filesystem with NFSv4.
> - A user on the Linux client does a Subversion checkout onto the
> mounted filesystem.
>
> At the end of the checkout, access to the filesystem hangs.  nfsd on
> the FreeBSD server and rpciod on the Linux client seem to be in a
> tight loop, and there's lots of network traffic between them.  I can
> reproduce this every time.
>
> The problem does not occur if the backing filesystem is UFS instead of
> ZFS, if NFSv3 is used instead of NFSv4, or if the client is FreeBSD
> instead of Linux.

... but you may have stumbled on something specific. I recommend you
repeat this same post (and others you have on the similar topic) on the
freebsd-fs at freebsd.org mailing list, the developer (Rick Macklem)
reads it.