What's up with cvsup.freebsd.org?

Dennis Glatting freebsd at penx.com
Fri Sep 3 06:12:02 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010, Greg Larkin wrote:

> Dennis Glatting wrote:

>>> cvsup is still fine.  Please (as recommended in the handbook) use a
>>> mirror closer to you.
>>>

>> cvsup1, which has the same IP address as cvsup, /is/ listed as the
>> server closest to me in the handbook. More specifically:
>>
>> /usr/local/etc/cvsup/update.sh -L2
>> CVSup update begins at 2010-09-02 09:46:13
>> Updating from cvsup1.freebsd.org
>> Parsing supfile "/usr/local/etc/cvsup/supfile"
>> Connecting to cvsup1.freebsd.org
>> Connected to cvsup1.freebsd.org
>> Premature EOF from server
>> CVSup update ends at 2010-09-02 09:46:15
>>
>> Something has changed in the past several days and I'm now getting
>> Premature EOF. (I operate a mirror within our enterprise.) If the server
>> /is fine/, then why have I been getting this message for the past
>> several days? Nothing has changed on my end.
>>

> Hi Dennis,
>
> Instead of relying on a particular cvsup server, how about installing
> fastest_cvsup (http://www.freshports.org/sysutils/fastest_cvsup)?
>
> If you run it in your script and pass the resulting hostname to csup,
> you'll get the server with the best response at that time.

That was interesting. From one site there isn't a significant difference
between 1/4/10 -- at least anything worth noteing. From this site, with
multiple exit points (different vendors) and depending on the BGP bounce
of the day, I see:

>>  Speed Daemons:
     - 1st: cvsup14.us.freebsd.org   6.22 ms
     - 2st: cvsup4.us.freebsd.org    30.29 ms
     - 3st: cvsup17.us.freebsd.org   44.45 ms

>>  Speed Daemons:
     - 1st: cvsup15.us.freebsd.org   20.96 ms
     - 2st: cvsup18.us.freebsd.org   31.66 ms
     - 3st: cvsup9.us.freebsd.org    31.80 ms

Thanks for the pointer.

BTW, cvsup was 51 ms from the first and 100 ms from the second.