Which specific version will be installed via pkg_add or via the port?

Glen Barber glen.j.barber at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 14:56:32 UTC 2010

On 9/2/10 10:43 AM, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Ed Flecko <edflecko at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> When you're installing software via the pkg_add command or building
>> from source, how do you what specific version you'll be installing
>> BEFORE you actually install it?
>
> By reading the port's Makefile, in my case.
> Other common options are
>  "make packagename" in the port's directory
>  http://www.freebsd.org/ports
>  http://www.freshports.org/

Adding onto Lowell's response, you can see which version of the port was
packaged at release time by logging directly into the FTP server:

	ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD

and take a look at what is in the package directory.  For example:

	ls ports/${ARCH}/packages-X.Y-release/${CATEGORY}/${PORT}

replacing ${ARCH}, ${CATEGORY}, and ${PORT} as appropriate, and
replacing X and Y with your current release version (for example, 8.1).

Regards,

--
Glen Barber