man(1) output error

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Oct 31 04:21:06 UTC 2010

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010, Adam Vande More wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 10:13 PM, <parv at pair.com> wrote:
>       I tried with "man perlfunc | less '+/y'" (also repeated the above
>       with csh) which did not result in any error messages in zsh 4 on
>       FreeBSD 8-STABLE (c. Sep 9 2010).
>

> Perhaps it's not directly related to the shell since your config is similar to except my stable is from Oct 4 and the error happens here.

Sounds right.  The initial search command for less (+/whatever) is not
always needed; after the error appears with it, just 'man perlfunc |
less' will give the errors.

The errors appear here when 'man perlfunc | less +/y' is run on csh,
bash, or zsh and "q" is pressed before the EOF has been reached:

   % man perlfunc | less +/y
   Error executing formatting or display command.
   system command exited with status 36096
   No manual entry for perlfunc

The status is always 36096, or 0x8d00.  Haven't yet found a short man
page which does this.  Interestingly, longer man pages may do it twice:

   % man ifconfig | less +/following
   Error executing formatting or display command.
   system command exited with status 36096
   Error executing formatting or display command.
   system command exited with status 36096
   No manual entry for ifconfig

Go to the EOF with "G" first, then press "q", and there are no errors.