man(1) output error

Chip Camden sterling at camdensoftware.com
Fri Oct 29 19:55:15 UTC 2010

Quoth Polytropon on Friday, 29 October 2010:
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 03:30:00 -0400, Eitan Adler <lists at eitanadler.com> wrote:
> > > % man csh | less +/rehash
> > >
> > > but after exiting less:
> > >
> > > Error executing formatting or display command.
> > > system command exited with status 36096
> > > Error executing formatting or display command.
> > > system command exited with status 36096
> > > No manual entry for csh
> > >
> > > This error seems new.
> >
> > I can confirm that this does occur on 8.1-RELEASE and does not occur
> > on 8.1-STABLE r213338.
>
> Must be something older - I can confirm this for 7-STABLE (as of
> Aug 2008) on my home system. The error message appears when the
> man program (less) is quit by typing 'q'. The searching process
> itself works as intended.
>
> % man csh | less +/rehash
>
>        rehash  Causes the internal hash table of the contents of the  directo-
>                ries  in the path variable to be recomputed.  This is needed if
> 	[...]
> Error executing formatting or display command.
> system command exited with status 36096
> Error executing formatting or display command.
> system command exited with status 36096
> No manual entry for csh
> %

(meant to reply to list)

I can confirm that the very latest 8.1-STABLE (csup and build this
morning) reproduces the problem.  uname -a:

FreeBSD libertas.local.camdensoftware.com 8.1-STABLE FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE #85: Fri Oct 29 10:27:19 PDT 2010     sterling at libertas.local.camdensoftware.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/LIBERTAS  amd64

--
Sterling (Chip) Camden    | sterling at camdensoftware.com | 2048D/3A978E4F
http://camdensoftware.com | http://chipstips.com        | http://chipsquips.com