slightly OT... .

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Oct 29 02:33:55 UTC 2010

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 22:22:26 -0400, Henry Olyer <henry.olyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wrote some files using a MacBook and saved them as .RTF files.
>
> And discovered that I couldn't move them to FreeBSD and use AbiWord.
>
> What do I to make them work?

You could try to use one of the tools provided in the ports
collection:

a) rtf2latex
	then continue to remove macros to gain plain text

b) rtf2html
	same game here

c) rtfreader

d) rtfx
	this is a tool that gives XML output - maybe usabe for
	further input to AbiWord

e) unrtf
	includes processing like a) and b), and some more formats

Which tool to use depends on how you intnd to further use the
documents. If it's just about the text, the pure filter programs
should be sufficient. Otherwise, try to load them in OpenOffice
and see how you can export them from there; ^A ^C and ^V into
a text editor should work from there, too.

Oh the joy of nonstandard file formats. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany