Sendmail as client via smarthost and ssl

Vincent Hoffman vince at unsane.co.uk
Fri Oct 29 01:07:22 UTC 2010

On 28/10/2010 15:25, Christopher Illies wrote:
>> 2010-10-28 14:49, Christopher Illies:
>>> To send email from my computer at work I need to send through a
>>> smarthost. In the past I had added the line:
>>>
>>> define(`SMART_HOST', `[smpt.ki.se]')
>> Brackets are only needed for ipaddresses.
>>
>> What happens when you remove the brackets, like so
>> define(`SMART_HOST', `your.mail.server')
> Nothing changes. I get the same error messages as with
> the brackets.

I'm a bit late here, but...
All I had to do for was add
AuthInfo:relay.isp.net "U:smmsp" "I:username" "P:PassWord" "M:PLAIN"
to /etc/mail/access
and the smarthost directive.

I assume from your config this would go in /etc/mail/auth/client-info

>From /usr/share/sendmail/cf/README

Providing SMTP AUTH Data when sendmail acts as Client

If sendmail acts as client, it needs some information how to
authenticate against another MTA.  This information can be provided
by the ruleset authinfo or by the option DefaultAuthInfo.  The
authinfo ruleset looks up {server_name} using the tag AuthInfo: in
the access map.  If no entry is found, {server_addr} is looked up
in the same way and finally just the tag AuthInfo: to provide
default values.  Note: searches for domain parts or IP nets are
only performed if the access map is used; if the authinfo feature
is used then only up to three lookups are performed (two exact
matches, one default).

(I also set up SSL separately as i'm using plain method but you seem to
have that covered.)

Hope thats useful to you.
Vince