ghostscript install problem

Fred fred at blakemfg.com
Thu Oct 28 19:37:51 UTC 2010

Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Fred <fred at blakemfg.com> writes:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to install ghostscript8 from ports on 8.0-RELEASE-p4.  The
>> build stops when
>> /usr/ports/print/ghostscript8/work/ghostscript-8.64/epag-3.09/ert is to
>> be installed in /usr/local/bin.  The error is file not found.  Error
>> code 71.  I tried going to the epag-3.09 directory:
>> make clean
>> make
>> The following warnings are produced:
>> ert.c:  In function 'printUsageAndExit':
>> ert.c:34: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
>> function 'exit'
>> ert.c: In function 'main':
>> ert.c:52: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function
>> 'malloc'
>> ert.c:55: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function
>> 'exit'
>> ert.c:63: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function
>> 'strlen'
>> ert.c:73: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function
>> 'exit'
>> ert.c:82: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function
>> 'exit'
>> ert.c:87: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function
>> 'exit'
>> ert.c:116: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function
>> 'exit'
>>
>> What can I do to resolve this problem?
>>

> You could always start by updating your ports.  At least that way, those
> of us with current versions of the port would be able to look at the
> same makefiles and so forth.  That said, go back to the main port
> directory, make clean, make rmconfig, and build again; *don't* change
> the port options when given the choice (after all, the port did build on
> a clean system, so the problem's probably something you set up).  Also
> make sure there's nothing relevant in /etc/make.conf.
>
> Another point:  if you still have the problem after following this
> advice, copy-and-paste the actual errors, rather than trying to re-type
> it.
>
> Good luck.

Ghostscript8 compiled and installed ok.  It was probably the rmconfig
that fixed it.  I had unset a lot of options that were of no value to
me.  Maybe one or more of them are not really optional.

Concerning the copy & paste, root is not running X so there is no copy
and paste.  I tried redirecting error output from make with
2>$HOME/make_error but make sees the redirection as an instruction it
does not know how to do.

Thanks for the help.

Best regards,
Fred