FreeBSD8.1 Can't get Syslog file to Log dhcpd

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Thu Oct 28 00:49:40 UTC 2010

	I have dhcpd running on a new 8.1 installation and I
can't seem to get /var/log/syslog to work. I touched
/var/log/syslog set to 644 and have restarted syslogd numerous
times since then and it is still 0-length. I did add the
following line to syslog.conf which has worked for probably 6 or
8 years:

 *.info;auth.info;mail.warning;cron.warning		/var/log/syslog

Logs such as /var/log/messages are working fine.

Thanks for any suggestions. Our dhcp server is very busy so we
really need these logs.

	I can see dhcpd trying to log if I run syslogd -d.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer