Update gone wrong

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Oct 26 20:06:58 UTC 2010

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 22:38:30 +0300, Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo at gmail.com> wrote:
> When any user does a login into the system, the contents of of a file,
> containing src/etc/mtree/BIND.chroot are displayed on the screen.

Looks like /etc/mtree/BIND.chroot got /etc/motd - message of
the day - a text file displayed after successful login.

> Another
> symptom of this is that I see a message like:
> Oct 26 22:27:00 gw su: _secure_path: cannot stat /some/path/to/.login_conf:
> Permission denied.

Check permissions of that file and see if they match with the
path the file is accessed by. When using su, you can use the
parameter -m (don't modify environment); see "man su" for
details - .login_conf is also mentioned there.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany