4.5.4 Upgrading Ports (Handbook)

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sat Oct 23 00:59:02 UTC 2010

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010, Justin Victoria wrote:

> Ok, so let me get this straight.  Here is what Ive deduced using the
> handbook:
>
> Step 1: run pkg_version -v
>
> will just stick with samba for now:
>
> [vic at hbca ~]$ pkg_version -v | grep -i samba
> samba-3.0.37_1,1                    =   up-to-date with index
> samba34-libsmbclient-3.4.8          <   needs updating (port has 3.4.9)
>

> pkg_version -v is telling me samba is up-to-date with index
> samba34-libsmbclient-3.4.8 needs updating..
>
> ok. step 2, check /usr/ports/UPDATING
>
> hbca# grep samba-3.0.37 /usr/ports/UPDATING

Grepping for specific things in UPDATING is bound to miss big updates
that affect lots of ports, like gettext.  Look at what's new in that
file since the last time you updated ports.

> hbca# pkgdb -F
> --->  Checking the package registry database
> Stale origin: 'net/samba3': perhaps moved or obsoleted.
> -> The port 'net/samba3' was removed on 2010-10-18 because:
>        "Has expired: Unsupported by the upstream. Please, consider to
> upgrade."
> -> Hint: samba-3.0.37_1,1 is not required by any other package
> -> Hint: checking for overwritten files...
> -> No files installed by samba-3.0.37_1,1 have been overwritten by other
> packages.
> Deinstall samba-3.0.37_1,1 ? [no] no
> Duplicated origin: security/libgcrypt - libgcrypt-1.4.5_1 libgcrypt-1.4.6
> Unregister any of them? [no] no

Looks like you've already missed some notes in UPDATING:
% less +/20100727 /usr/ports/UPDATING

> Since samba is very to configure, I can simply deinstall samba all together
> and reinstall..  What exactly is the point of portupgrade then?

Automating the process of updating a web of dependencies.  The article
link speaks about this a bit:
http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/portupgrade.html

PS: please don't top-post, it makes responding more difficult.