Netbooks & BSD

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Oct 21 14:10:42 UTC 2010

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 09:01:56 -0500, Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is true.  I had some problems making a usb mouse work, but I had
> to manually plug it in to different usb slots till it worked from the
> start.  The keyboard(usb) sometimes takes a while longer to respond
> than the PS2 one, but as long as I can get some work done.

Yes - an observation I had starting with FreeBSD 7 (still
on my home desktop): The keyboard is sometimes detected during
boot, and sometimes some time AFTER the login prompt is
presented (which implies that I cannot log in to the
system as the keyboard is logically not present); and in
some few cases, I need to re-plugin the keyboard. The
strange thing: I didn't have that behaviour on FreeBSD 5
(my home system until crash). It might have something to
do with the work done at the USB subsystem. On FreeBSD
5, the mouse and keyboard resulted in this message:

	% dmesg | grep "^u[km]"
	ums0: Sun Microsystems Type 6 USB mouse,
		rev 1.00/1.02, addr 2, iclass 3/1
	ums0: 3 buttons
	ukbd0: Sun Microsystems Type 6 USB keyboard,
		rev 1.00/1.02, addr 3, iclass 3/1

Since I moved to FreeBSD 7 (didn't use 6 at home), I
just get this - on the SAME system:

	% dmesg | grep "^u[km]"
	ums0: <vendor 0x0430 product 0x0100, class 0/0,
		rev 1.00/1.02, addr 2> on uhub1
	ums0: 3 buttons.
	ukbd0: <vendor 0x0430 product 0x0005, class 0/0,
		rev 1.00/1.02, addr 3> on uhub1

Still everything works as before. Strange...

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany