Netbooks & BSD

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Oct 20 21:26:37 UTC 2010

> Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 14:15:46 -0700
> From: Gary Kline <kline at thought.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 11:32:01AM -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> > >        Sure, the optical uses [I think] a USB connector.  Pretty sure
> > >        that all these tiny "toys" are made at one factory! and then
> > >        labeled by the vendor.  If all the opticals are essentially
> > >        the same, then great.
> >
> > I think they all pretty much follow the same standard. I've even had
> > success using an IDE CD-ROM drive plugged into a USB-to-IDE adapter
> > cable, before.
>

> 	That kinda makes me laugh, because isn't the idea of USB to
> 	have *one* standard plug that fits into one jack?  --Seriously,
> 	my favorite "clicky" keyboard is a PS/2 and I have a USB adaptor
> 	that saved me.
>
> 	The thing about the memsticks is that on my tower cases, you
> 	have to get down and crawl around and find the jack...  Is there
> 	such a thing as a USB "extender" cable, say, a meter or two long?

Sure. My SmartCard token is plugged into one on my desk. Not knowing
where you are I an only suggest Radio Shack or, if there is one near you,
Frys. You can easily order one on-line for a LARGE number of
vendors. Just remember that the maximum length of 5 meters.

I see prices for brand-name cables at about $8.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)