Greybeards (Re: Netbooks & BSD)

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Wed Oct 20 16:56:01 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 12:47:38AM -0700, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
> Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de> wrote:
> > El d?a Tuesday, October 19, 2010 a las 07:29:46PM -0700, Gary Kline escribi?:
> > > 	PS:  I really _was_ current on hardware stuff.  Back in the VAX
> > > 	780 days :-)
> > I booted my first UNIX V7 tape on a PDP-11 around 1982, I think.
>
> Gotcha beat :)  UNIX V6, PDP-11/34, RK05 disk cartridge, 1975.
> The whole runtime fit on one RK05.  The sources took a second one.

	I remember the 11/34 fondly.  The whole EE department at Cory
	Hall was running one one; then when I interned at Livermore my
	job of porting the "Portable F77 Compiler" was done with vi and
	the source code that Stu Feldman wrote.  I love[d] those bloody
	old computers, :-)  Dunno why.   Maybe because they really
	*were* about computing.  Not streaming [[whatever]] or having
	php running.  (Blah^9^9^9)

	:)

    The 7.90a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php
                           http://journey.thought.org