Problem Installing freeBSD 8.1 on Dell Poweredge T110

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Tue Oct 19 01:10:50 UTC 2010

> From owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org  Mon Oct 18 06:47:12 2010
> Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 09:55:41 -0500
> From: Mike Overton <mikeo.veterantutors at gmail.com>
> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> Cc: Richard Ehrlich <richarde.veterantutors at gmail.com>
> Subject: Problem Installing freeBSD 8.1 on Dell Poweredge T110
>
>   (New Dell Poweredge T110, X3430 Xeon, 4GB 1333MHz ). Machine replaces
> operating freeBSD 8.1 Dell 686 machine with active Internet connection.
>
> When trying to load freeBSD 8.1 from a boot only i386 ISO disc, which
> installed with no problems on Dell 686 Pentium machine, new machine is
> not accepting network configuration loaded via Sysinstall and cannot
> find freeBSD download site.

'Details are *IMPORTANT*.

You didn't provide any -- and, unfortunately, my crystal ball is on the
fritz this week.

>From what you did describe, this could be a DNS problem, a driver/hardware
mismatch, unsupported hardware, defective hardware, or even an unplugged
cable.

Information only _you_ can provide:
  1) _exactly_ what kind of network card  is in your T110 ?
  2) exactly *what* does the boot message say about what kind of network
       interfaces, if any, were found?
  3) what does "not accepting" mean?
  4) what does 'ifconfig -a' show?
  5) what does 'netstat -nr' show?
  6) can you 'ping' anywhere?  say 129.105.5.104?
  7) what does 'traceroute -n {anywhere} ' show?