Problem Installing freeBSD 8.1 on Dell Poweredge T110

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Mon Oct 18 18:45:08 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 09:55:41AM -0500, Mike Overton wrote:

>  (New Dell Poweredge T110, X3430 Xeon, 4GB 1333MHz ). Machine replaces
> operating freeBSD 8.1 Dell 686 machine with active Internet connection.
>
> When trying to load freeBSD 8.1 from a boot only i386 ISO disc, which
> installed with no problems on Dell 686 Pentium machine, new machine is
> not accepting network configuration loaded via Sysinstall and cannot
> find freeBSD download site.
>
> Dell Support refused help, stating "we do not support freeBSD".
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

One thing that strikes me is that you're using the i386 ISO when your
processor is almost certainly 64 bit.

If you want to address all your memory, then you should use the amd64
ISO.

As to your problem configuring your network, you have to look at the
handbook and give us more information as to what you have done. But as
Adam says you should do a full install with disc 1 if you're having
problems doing a net install.

Regards,

--

 Frank