mouse problems....

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Oct 14 01:06:45 UTC 2010

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010, Polytropon wrote:

>> Finally, a "jumpy mouse" problem
>> with moused on console screams that it's the KVM, not moused or USB or
>> xorg config.
>
> I'm not 100% sure about that. Your article located at
> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/aei.html states:
>
> 	Other times, particularly if hald is running, typed
> 	characters don't show up on the screen until the
> 	mouse is moved, and mouse movement itself is jerky
> 	and doesn't react smoothly.
>
> I thought about something like that.

That happens in X.  I don't recall any problems in console mode, but may
not have tested it.

>> USB mice cause moused to be run anyway, but there are differences.  If
>> you want switching between X and console to be fast, enable moused.
>
> And this is possible in combination with devd that "remote-contols"
> moused for USB mice? And does moused handle "disappearing" and
> "reappearing" devices properly?

AFAIK, yes.  Try it: with a USB mouse, set moused_enable="NO", reboot,
switch from console to X and back with alt-f9 and then ctrl-alt-f1.
Note the delay, particularly switching from console to X.  Now enable
moused, reboot, and try it again.

I don't know what causes the difference.  Certainly it's something that
could be tolerated if you don't switch between console and X much.