Ndis driver causes kernel problems on boot

Mark Moellering mark at msen.com
Wed Oct 13 17:18:50 UTC 2010

  On 13-Oct-10 12:47 PM, Paul B Mahol wrote:
> On 10/13/10, Mark Moellering<mark at msen.com>  wrote:
>>    I created a driver for my rtl8187 SE in my MSI Wind netbook using ndisgen.
>> I placed the driver , rtl8187Se_sys.ko in /boot/modules
>>
>> I added rtl8187Se_sys_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf
>>
>> I can kldload rtl8187Se_sys and everything seems OK.
>> If I reboot, however, I get the following error during boot (truncated
>> to what I think is the relevant info);
>>
>> Fata trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>> cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
>> fault virtual address    = 0xf00032d4
>> fault code                     = supervisor read, page not present
>> current process            = 12 (swi4: clock)
>>
>> I am a little lost at this point.  If I start in bootloader prompt mode,
>> I type;
>> OK>  unload
>> OK>  load /boot/kernel/kernel
>> OK>  boot
>>
>> and everything works fine.
>>
>> Any and all help is appreciated.
> Some miniport drivers (or newer versions of drivers) tend to cause this.
> Workaround is to not use loader.conf to load miniport driver (in your
> case it is rtl8187Se_sys.ko) and instead load them (manually or
> automatically) after boot.

OK thanks.  How would I do that exactly (automatically).  I think I need
to create a shell script to execute the kldload commands but I am not
sure how/where I should call it.  Thanks for your help.  I am getting a
little burned out from reading man pages.  Any and all help is apprciated

Thanks for your help.

Mark Moellering